Dodger Executive Vice President Fred Claire doesn’t think the Dodgers are imploding after pitchers Pedro Astacio and Ismael Valdes have confronted Manager Bill Russell in the dugout in two of the last four games.
“My observation of [Astacio’s outburst] was that you have a pitcher who wasn’t happy, but to his credit he knew that he’d made a mistake and came back out and apologized,” Claire said.
“We’re going through a very frustrating period of time and those emotions will develop. I think in the two cases we’ve had here, we’ve had two frustrated pitchers who have acknowledged that their emotions as they took place, were out of place.
“You want players to play with emotion, but there’s a place and an audience to hear all of that and [the dugout] wasn’t the right place.”
Former Dodger second baseman Delino DeShields, who had two hits and three RBIs in five at-bats Sunday, including a two-run ninth-inning home run, doesn’t miss his old team.
“I’m glad I’m not there,” DeShields said. “Pedro’s a pretty easy-going guy, from what I’ve seen. But I didn’t see anything. I just feel good about beating them.”
Darren Dreifort, who has missed 26 games with a elbow injury, will make a rehabilitation start for the Albuquerque Dukes on Tuesday night at Phoenix.
* Opponent--Houston Astros, three games.
* Site--Dodger Stadium.
* TV--Fox Sports West 2, Tuesday, Wednesday.
* Radio--KABC (790), KWKW (1330).
* Records--Dodgers 29-31, Astros 31-31.
* Record vs. Astros--2-5.
DODGERS’ RAMON MARTINEZ (5-3, 3.12 ERA) vs. ASTROS’ CHRIS HOLT (6-4, 3.92 ERA)
* UPDATE: Martinez needs one win to tie Burt Hooton for eighth on the L.A. Dodger list with 112 career victories. The Dodgers have won nine of Martinez’s 13 starts this season. They have scored one run in his three losses. On Tuesday, Ismael Valdes will be making his first start since he was shoved out of the dugout by Manger Bill Russell when he was pulled for a pinch hitter in a loss to the San Francisco Giants. The Astros, who defeated the San Diego Padres, 9-0, Sunday, have won only three of their last eight road games. Jeff Bagwell leads the National League with 19 home runs and is second with 57 RBIs.
* Tuesday, 7 p.m.--Ismael Valdes (3-7, 3.03 ERA) vs. Shane Reynolds (4-6, 4.04 ERA).
* Wednesday, 7:30 p.m.--Chan Ho Park (4-3, 2.96 ERA) vs. Mike Hampton (2-4, 4.87 ERA).