Brazil Can Do No Better Than 0-0 Tie With Jamaica
World Cup champion Brazil and Jamaica played to a scoreless tie in an opening-round match of the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament Tuesday night.
In a game played before 43,754 at the Orange Bowl, Brazil threatened the Jamaican goal throughout the 90 minutes of regulation but could not get a shot past goalkeeper Warren Barrett--at least one that counted.
With five minutes remaining, Romario took a pass from Denilson deep inside the box, but Barrett raced toward Romario to deflect the shot. Seconds later, Romario put a shot past Barrett but was called offside.
At the 79th minute, Edmundo drilled a shot toward the post that Barrett deflected out of danger.
In the match’s final minute, Jamaica’s Theodore Wilson was elbowed by Brazil’s Junior Baiano outside the Brazil penalty area, setting up an indirect free kick, but Fitzroy Simpson’s shot sailed over the goal.
(BEGIN TEXT OF INFOBOX / INFOGRAPHIC)
CONCACAF Gold Cup
* Sunday’s Scores:
Trinidad and Tobago 3, Honduras 1
United States 3, Cuba 0
El Salvador 0, Guatemala 0
* Tuesday: Brazil 0, Jamaica0
* Today: Costa Rica vs. Cuba, 6 p.m.; Mexico vs. Trinidad and Tobago, 8 p.m. (Oakland Coliseum).
* Thursday: Brazil vs. Guatemala, 4:30 p.m. (Orange Bowl, Miami).
* Friday: El Salvador vs. Jamaica, 8 p.m. (Los Angeles Coliseum).
* Saturday: Costa Rica vs. United States, 2 p.m.; Honduras vs. Mexico, 4 p.m. (Oakland Coliseum).
* Feb. 8: Guatemala vs. Jamaica, 2 p.m.; Brazil vs. El Salvador, 4 p.m. (Los Angeles Coliseum).
* Feb. 10: Semifinal, 8 p.m. (Los Angeles Coliseum).
* Feb. 12: Semifinal, 7 p.m. (Los Angeles Coliseum).
* Feb. 15: Third-place game, 3 p.m. and final, 5 p.m. (Los Angeles Coliseum).
* All times Pacific.
All about the beautiful game
Go inside the L.A. pro soccer scene and beyond in Kevin Baxter's weekly newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.