ORANGE COUNTY AGENDA
Anaheim City Council
* BALLOT MEASURE: The council will consider placing a charter amendment on the Nov. 3 ballot that would require labor disputes between Anaheim firefighters and the city be resolved by a neutral third party.
Firefighters submitted petitions to the city clerk June 1 containing 22,426 signatures; officials later determined 15,244 were valid. The minimum number needed to qualify for the ballot was 14,993, or 15% of the city’s registered voters.
City Clerk Leonora N. Sohl is recommending placing the measure on the November ballot since it will not increase the cost of the election to “any significant extent.” The additional cost would be only to print the ballot question, the text of the charter amendment and the arguments in favor or against. If the council chooses to hold a special election, the cost would be about $155,000.
* When: Tuesday, 5 p.m.
* Where: Council chambers, 200 S. Anaheim Blvd.
* Information: (714) 765-5166
Brea Olinda Unified School District
* NEW CLASSROOM: Trustees will consider buying a portable classroom at Fanning Elementary School. District staff members are recommending that the board buy the classroom from Modtech Inc. for $27,888. This addition will provide program space similar to that available at the other five elementary schools.
* When: Today, 7 p.m.
* Where: Brea Civic/Cultural Center, 1 Civic Center Circle.
* Information: (714) 990-7800
Huntington Beach City Council and Planning Commission
* SHOPPING PLAN: The panels are holding a workshop to discuss a proposal to open a Wal-Mart at the former Crest View School, at Talbert Avenue and Beach Boulevard. Officials will discuss details of the plan, an environmental impact report and other aspects of the project.
* When: Tuesday, 5 p.m.
* Where: City Hall, 2000 Main St.
* Information: (714) 536-5227
Stanton City Council
* NEW LANDSCAPING: The council will consider paying $527,528 for Beach Boulevard median landscape improvements, including irrigation lines, city entry signs, concrete work, and new trees and shrubs. The company, Redtail Inc., DBA, Geoscene Landscape, offered the lowest bid for the project, according to city reports.
* When: Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
* Where: Council chambers, 7800 Katella Ave.
* Information: (714) 379-9222
Tustin Unified School District
* BUDGETS AND BOOKS: Board members will hold public hearings on two items: the district’s final budget for 1998-99, and a plan to adopt new textbooks for algebra, geometry, science and social science classes. The panel also will discuss whether to buy six portable classrooms at a cost of $195,000.
* When: Today, 7 p.m.
* Where: Board meeting room, 300 South C. St.
* Information: (714) 730-7330
* Anaheim City School District, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m., district office, Building B, 1001 S. East St. (714) 517-8500
* Anaheim Union High School District, Thursday, 7:30 p.m., 501 Crescent Way. (714) 999-3511
* Cypress City Council, today, 7 p.m., City Hall, 5275 Orange Ave. (714) 229-6688
* Dana Point City Council, Tuesday, 5:30 p.m., 33282 Golden Lantern. (949) 248-3508
* Fullerton School District, Tuesday, 7 p.m., district office, 1401 W. Valencia Drive. (710) 447-7400
* Garden Grove City Council, Tuesday, 7 p.m., Community Meeting Center, 11300 Stanford Ave. (714) 741-5040
* Huntington Beach City Council, today, 5 p.m., City Hall, 2000 Main St. (714) 536-5227
* Huntington Beach Union High School District, Tuesday, 7:30 p.m., District Education Center, 10251 Yorktown Ave. (714) 964-3339
* Irvine Unified School District, special closed session meeting, today, 5:30 p.m., 5050 Barranca Parkway. (949) 559-9051
* Irvine Ranch Water District, today, 6 p.m., District Board Room, 15600 Sand Canyon Ave., Irvine. (949) 453-5300
* Laguna Hills City Council, Tuesday, 7 p.m., council chambers, 25201 Paseo de Alicia. (949) 707-2600
* Los Alamitos City Council, today, 7 p.m, 3191 Katella Ave. (562) 431-3538
* Orange City Council, Tuesday, 4:30 p.m., City Hall, 300 E. Chapman Ave. (714) 744-5500
* Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District, Tuesday, 7 p.m., 4999 Casa Loma Ave. (714) 996-2550
* Westminster City Council, Tuesday, 7 p.m., 8200 Westminster Blvd. (714) 898-3311
By JOHN CANALIS, DEBRA CANO, CHRIS CEBALLOS, MIMI KO CRUZ, LINN GROVES, JOHN POPE AND LESLEY WRIGHT
This column is designed to provide information about upcoming public meetings. To learn more about events in your community, call your local government office.