Fire at Outlet Mall Prompts Evacuation

An electrical fire prompted the evacuation of nine stores at Camarillo Premium Outlets mall Monday afternoon.

Ventura County Fire Department spokeswoman Sandi Wells said the fire began in an electrical control room between the center’s Gramicci and Bass clothing stores. It did not spread past the control room, and there were no injuries, she said.

“It was really mellow, nothing too big,” said Gramicci store manager Devon de la Salle. “Hopefully the lights will be on by tomorrow.”

De la Salle said employees smelled smoke and evacuated the store at about 4:20 p.m. Other affected stores included outlets for Geoffrey Beene, OshKosh B’Gosh, Van Heusen and the Leather Loft.


County firefighters were on the scene within minutes, putting out the flames at about 5:15 p.m.

Wells said the fire could have been worse had the control room not been clear of merchandise.

“This place should receive kudos,” Wells said, adding that many malls use an electrical room for extra storage.

Store officials said it was unknown whether all nine stores would reopen this morning.