38TH SENATE DISTRICT
Morrow has been one of the leaders of GOP efforts to reform the state’s civil litigation system to limit lawsuits.
* Party: Republican
* Age: 44
* Residence: Oceanside
* Education: Bachelor of science, political science, UCLA, 1976; law degree, Pepperdine University, 1979.
* Career highlights: Major in Marine Corps, eight years active duty, four years reserves. Lawyer. After heated Republican primary fight, won Assembly seat in 1992 in first run for office.
* Priorities: Supports lawsuit reform. Opposes abortion. Favors school vouchers or opportunity scholarships. Backs class-size reduction. Supports expedited death penalty appeals. Opposes gun bans.
MADELENE E. ARAKELIAN
A supporter of campaign finance reform, Arakelian is running a “no-dollar” campaign against the Republican favorite
* Party: Democrat
* Age: 64
* Residence: Irvine
* Education: High school graduate. Studied at Art Institute of Los Angeles.
* Career highlights: In refuse/recycling business 46 years, running company, with husband, that serves Newport Beach, Costa Mesa and parts of Irvine. Unsuccessful runs for Congress in 1994 and state Senate in 1995 and 1996.
* Priorities: Support back-to-basics school programs and wiser use of education funding. Streamline business regulations and limit lawsuits. Push government to work with private industry to provide better health care.
OTHER CANDIDATES: Paul King of the Libertarian Party and Barbara Blair of the Natural Law Party.