The Santiago Geologic Hazard Abatement District, formed with City Council approval earlier this month as part of a settlement with a group of property owners, held its first board meeting Monday. But members said they need more time to consider the district’s contract with the city before proceeding. “There are elements of some concern,” said Carl Newton, an attorney with the district. “We need to look at the settlement agreement and compare it with the contract.”
The hazard abatement district covers 23 acres in Anaheim Hills where torrential rains caused massive landslides in January 1993, forcing emergency evacuations. Home and property owners later filed suit against the city, resulting in a settlement in which city officials agreed to set aside $3.5 million to operate and maintain dewatering wells that monitor and control ground water. The district is the first of its kind in Orange County formed with city funds.
The district will receive the funds once a formal settlement is reached in the next three weeks, said Michael Rubin, an attorney for the city.
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.