Those thinking of cashing out of the stock market would be wise to stash their dough in La Brea Bakery’s best-selling loaf, the Sourdough Baguette.
* Introduced January 1989.
* Recipe by Nancy Silverton, La Brea Bakery co-owner.
* Ingredients are unbleached bread flour (Montana Patent from Capitol Milling), water, salt, sourdough starter.
* 2,200 baguettes baked Sunday through Thursday, and 2,500 Friday and Saturday.
* A full batch (500) takes 1 1/2 hours to mix, five hours for the first rise, one hour to shape, 12 hours to proof, two hours to bake.
* 750 calories each.
* 24 inches long.
* Weighs 12 ounces.
* Sold at more than 375 locations.
* Costs $1.99 to $2.09.