Advertisement
Share

Man Gets 17 Years in $18.9-Million Holdup

A man convicted of taking part in one of the biggest armed robberies in Los Angeles history--the theft of $18.9 million in cash from the Dunbar Armored truck depot--was sentenced Monday to more than 17 years in federal prison.

U.S. District Judge Lourdes Baird told Erik Damon Boyd that she considered his prior criminal record, his use of a gun and the fact that a woman was injured in the robbery. She also ordered Boyd to repay the money that he and four others were convicted of stealing during the 1997 armed robbery of the truck depot in downtown Los Angeles.

“I’m totally speechless at this moment,” Boyd said minutes earlier, on hearing that he faced a minimum of 210 months and a maximum of 262 months based on federal sentencing guidelines.

Advertisement

Boyd, 30, of Buena Park, and Allen Pace III were convicted in February.

Pace, a former Dunbar security officer accused of masterminding the robbery, is scheduled to be sentenced May 14. He faces about 27 years in prison.

Prosecutors allege that Pace recruited Boyd and the others.

Four other accomplices who previously pleaded guilty testified against the men during the three-week trial.


Advertisement