So you love burgers but want to eat healthfully? Voila: the bird burger.
* Russell's Burgers: Simplicity is the theme here: a turkey patty on a toasted wheat bun with lettuce, tomato and red onion, with Thousand Island dressing on the side. (Turkey burger, $5.95.) Russell's Burgers, 30 N. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena, (626) 578-1404.
* Good Stuff: This chain mixes white meat with a little garlic and serves the patty with lettuce, tomato and onion on a whole-wheat bun; with avocado, bacon and cheese; with "M&M;" (with mozzarella and mushrooms); and with Jack cheese, fresh pineapple and teriyaki sauce. (Traditional turkey burger, $5.75; avocado bacon turkey burger, $7.50; M&M;, $6.75; teriyaki turkey burger, $6.50.) Good Stuff, 1617 Pacific Coast Highway, Redondo Beach, (310) 316-0262; 1286 the Strand, Hermosa Beach, (310) 374-2334; 1300 Highland Ave., Manhattan Beach, (310) 545-4775; 11903 W. Olympic Blvd., West Los Angeles, (310) 477-9011.
* Cassell's: At this landmark place, freshly ground turkey is served on a lightly toasted white bun, slathered with homemade mayo, Thousand Island dressing, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles. You can get a one-third-pound model or a whopping two-thirds-pounder. (Turkey burger, $4; large turkey burger, $5.20.) Cassell's, 3266 W. 6th St., Los Angeles, (213) 480-8668.
* Ammo: This half-pound turkey burger is served on a grilled La Brea Bakery sesame roll with sharp cheddar, arugula, caramelized onions and a slice of tomato. It comes with really crisp shoestring potatoes. (Ammo's turkey burger, $10.) Ammo, 1151 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood, (323) 871-2666.
* Red: The turkey patty (mixed with onions, garlic and Parmesan--it tastes almost like meatloaf) comes on a brioche-like poppy-seed bun with aioli, tomato, red onion and lettuce. You get a choice of fries, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, onion rings or green salad with balsamic dressing. (Turkey burger, $8.95.) Red, 7450 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, (323) 937-0331.
* Hampton's Hollywood Cafe: This half-pound turkey burger made with Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan cheese comes on a toasted wheat bun. The extensive condiment-salad bar has everything from peanut butter to avocado. (Turkey burger, $7.15.) Hampton's Hollywood Cafe, 6145 Franklin Ave., Hollywood, (323) 467-7678.