Smoke Forces Residents Out

From Times Staff Reports

Wheelchair users and bedridden residents of a Newport Beach convalescent home were briefly evacuated Sunday after an air-conditioning compressor malfunctioned, according to fire authorities.

About 1 p.m., the compressor sprayed oil that hit something hot, blowing smoke through vents at Flagship Healthcare Center on Flagship Road, according to Battalion Chief George Pearce.

Firefighters responded, and about 30 to 40 residents were evacuated while the air cleared. No injuries were reported.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
60°