Los Angeles police and City Council members offered a quarter of a million dollars in rewards Thursday to help find the killers of nine South Los Angeles murder victims in recent years.
Flanked by council members Bernard C. Parks and Jan Perry, police called on reluctant witnesses to come forward and offer clues.
“If we want to put an end to this, stand up and be heard,” said Capt. Jim Miller. “The only way is by people coming forward.”
Police called on the public to offer tips in cases involving:
* Fonda Dempsey, who disappeared from South L.A. and was found in the trunk of her car in the 14800 block of West Camarillo Street in Van Nuys on Sept. 19, 2001.
* Farce Deon Lott, shot several times by two men while standing in a parking lot in the 1800 block of 71st Street about 12:30 a.m. Jan. 2, 2002.
* Steven Gray, shot several times while standing with a friend in the 9800 block of Haas Avenue at 10:30 p.m. on June 22, 2002.
* Kenneth Sorrells, 12, shot by someone on foot in the 600 block of Manchester Avenue about 11:30 a.m. July 31, 2002.
* Travon Ford, shot from a dark-colored car driving in the 1000 block of 58th Street about 11:35 a.m. on Nov. 28, 2001.
* John Anthony Williams, shot numerous times while standing in the 1800 block of West 80th Street about 10 a.m. on July 15, 2001.
* Brian Devon Wofford, shot by someone in a four-door silver 2001 Mitsubishi Galant in the 8300 block of South San Pedro Street about midnight June 2, 2002.
* Jesse Patterson, 72, shot several times while standing in the area of the 4600 block of South Vermont Avenue at 12:35 a.m. on Nov. 1, 2002.
* Charles Burton Jr., killed by someone who drove by in a white car and fired into a group in the 700 block of West 66th Street about 9:40 p.m. on Jan. 12, 2002.
Police ask anyone with clues to call the LAPD at (213) 485-1383 or, after hours, at (877) LAWFULL (529-3855).