* at Oakland 3, Seattle 2: Nick Swisher and Bobby Crosby hit home runs to help the Athletics win for the fourth time in six games.
* at Detroit 12, Cleveland 3: Gary Sheffield hit the 475th home run of his career and Justin Verlander (10-3) got the victory over C.C. Sabathia (12-3).
* at New York 7, Minnesota 6: Hideki Matsui hit a tiebreaking two-run homer in the eighth inning and Mariano Rivera got out of a jam in the ninth for his 424th save, tying him with John Franco for third on the career list.
* at Boston 15, Tampa Bay 4: Coco Crisp hit a grand slam in the first inning and Josh Beckett earned his 12th victory. The Devil Rays lost their 11th in a row and were swept for the third consecutive series. A fourth this weekend in Kansas City would pull them within one of the franchise record of 15 consecutive losses set in 2002. Red Sox reliever Hideki Okajima was added to the American League All-Star roster as the winner of the 32nd man Internet vote, giving Boston six players in the game.
* at Chicago 11, Baltimore 6: Tadahito Iguchi fell a single shy of the cycle and Jermaine Dye hit a three-run homer in the White Sox’s victory. The 11 runs were a season high for Chicago, which has won eight of 11 and is trying to turn its season around.
* Angels 5, at Texas 2: Kelvim Escobar won his 10th game after being snubbed again for a spot in the All-Star game and the Angels avoided a three-game sweep.