Advertisement
Share

Judge in Lohan case recuses herself after complaint from prosecutor

The Beverly Hills judge presiding over the case of actress Lindsay Lohan recused herself Friday after the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office objected to meetings between the judge and defense attorneys in the case.

Prosecutor Danette Meyers raised the issue at a meeting between her, Judge Marsha Revel and defense attorney Shawn Chapman Holley, according to sources familiar with the case.

Before prosecutors could file paperwork to request the change, Revel stepped aside, the sources said. Superior Court spokesman Allan Parachini confirmed Wednesday that Revel has recused herself and that Judge Elden Fox is now handling Lohan’s case.

The contacts by the judge include communications between her and defense lawyers as well as other experts in the case.

Advertisement

Among those was the Morningside Recovery drug and alcohol treatment center in Orange County, the sources said.

The request to have Revel step down came the same week that Lohan was released from jail after serving 13 days for violating probation in connection with a 2007 conviction for driving under the influence. After Lohan’s release from the Century Regional Detention Center in Lynwood, she was taken to the neuropsychiatric ward at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center for three months of treatment.

The change of judges marks the latest twist in a drama in which Revel had taken center stage with the actress. Last month, Revel dressed down the “Mean Girls” and “Freaky Friday” star for repeatedly lying about her role in two drunk driving related incidents within months of each other in 2007 and then failing to attend alcohol education classes.

“I’m not taking this as a joke,” Lohan told the judge at the July 6 hearing before Revel.

“I take responsibility for my actions. I’ve tried to do the best I can. It’s been such a long haul, I don’t want you to think that I don’t respect you.”

andrew.blankstein@latimes.com


Advertisement