Rankman hit cruise control this week, with no changes in the top 13 even though Oregon, Texas Christian and Auburn all had to serve after-school detention for falling asleep in class. There has never been an easier week to have Boise State at No. 1 after the Broncos put Friday night lights out against Idaho. USC, our preseason No. 20, used a big win at Arizona to move up six spots to No. 19 and the Texas Ampersands (A&M) make their debut just in time to play host to one-loss Nebraska. The Utes of Utah, like Wile E. Coyote, walked off a cliff at Zion National Park, stood there for a second with a dumbfounded look, then dropped like an ACME anvil ... poof.
Rank; Team, Record; Comment; (Previous Rank)
1. Boise State, 9-0; QB Moore uses fourth quarters to work on NYT crossword puzzles. (1)
2. Oregon, 10-0; America's fastest team made a bee-line out of Berkeley back to Eugene. (2)
3. Texas Christian, 11-0; Whacked Utah so hard the Utes were muddy putty in Notre Dame's hands. (3)
4. Auburn, 11-0; New reality show staring the Newtons: "$$$$$$ My Dad Says." (4)
5. Stanford, 9-1; Google founder grads eradicate Cal from search engine this week. (5)
6. Louisiana State, 9-1; Only Nebraska (2001) gets a title-game shot without winning its division. (6)
7. Alabama, 8-2; Take it easy on Georgia State, boys, they're new at this football thing. (7)
8. Wisconsin, 9-1; OK, but you fell 56 points short of scoring 83 against San Jose State. (8)
9. Ohio State, 9-1; Big Ten could have really used a title game this year. (9)
11. Arkansas, 8-2; Please beat Louisiana State so it quits yapping about deserving a BCS title bid. (11)
14. Virginia Tech, 8-2; Voted best team in America since Sept. 12 by Boise State Monthly. (16)
15. Nevada, 9-1; Will shoot potato out of that cannon every time it scores against Boise State. (17)
16. South Carolina, 7-3; Nice work not overlooking Florida before big game with Troy. (22)
18. Oklahoma, 8-2; Trails only Cal in home-versus-road, can't-figure-them-out index. (21)
19. USC, 7-3; Archeologists believe they've unearthed Trojans' last win in Oregon. (25)
20. Arizona, 7-3; Refuses bet with Utah on which team makes Rose Bowl first. (14)
21. Iowa, 7-3; "Welcome to our home, Buckeyes … please make yourselves uncomfortable." (15)
22. Mississippi State, 7-3; Newton's dumbbell dad insists now that he asked for 180,000 cowbells. (19)
23. Texas, A&M 7-3; Recently sent Texas a touching, get-well soon (in 2053) card. (NR)
24. Miami, 7-3; Back in the poll only until Central Florida gets its groove back. (NR)
Moved in: Texas A&M, Miami, Northwestern.
Dropped out: Utah (18), Central Florida (23), Florida (24).