Five injured in shooting at large Harbor Gateway warehouse party

VIDEO | 01:03
Five injured in shooting at Harbor Gateway warehouse party

A shooting at a large party in a warehouse in the Harbor Gateway area sent five people to a hospital early Tuesday morning, authorities said.

The incident occurred at 12:39 a.m., according to the LAPD, when an assailant opened fire at the gathering in the 22900 block of Lockness Avenue, striking multiple people.

The gunman then fled in an unknown direction.

Five people — three women and two men, ranging in age from about 20 to 39 years old — were taken to a hospital, Los Angeles police Officer Norma Eisenman said. They were all in stable condition as of about 6:15 a.m.


Eisenman said she could not confirm the extent or nature of their injuries.

She added that the shooting was believed to be gang-related.

The owner of the warehouse told KTLA-TV Channel 5 that he rented the space out for what he thought was a video shoot.

It was the second incident of gun violence at a large party in as many weeks. One woman was killed and four other people were injured after shots were fired at a gathering at a home in the 13200 block of Mulholland Drive last Tuesday.

That party, as well as a few others, have drawn headlines recently for being held in defiance of Los Angeles County’s COVID-19 public health order, which forbids gatherings or parties of any size, public or private.

At fraternity houses and Hollywood mansions, parties that defy public health orders are fueling a coronavirus surge in the young.

Aug. 6, 2020

Health officials have warned that crowds — particularly when people are clustered closely together indoors — increase the risk of spreading the coronavirus.

Last week, L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti announced additional enforcement measures aimed at curbing large parties. If Los Angeles police officers respond to and verify that a large party is occurring at a property, and there’s evidence that the venue has repeatedly engaged in such behavior, he said, the department will request that the city shut off water and power services to the property within 48 hours.


Police union leaders, however, have since come out against that plan, saying officers should not be involved with helping turn off utility services.

City News Service contributed to this report.