Overnight shootings by LAPD end with 1 dead, 1 wounded, 7 arrested


Los Angeles police officers shot and killed a man Wednesday night and injured a woman in a separate incident early Thursday, authorities said.

In the first shooting, police said a man approached a group of people at a gas station and aimed a firearm at them before officers shot him. Authorities said the woman injured in the second shooting also was armed with a firearm.

About four hours after the first shooting, which occurred at 10 p.m. in Southeast Los Angeles, seven people were arrested after a scuffle with police. Officers said a “female protester” crossed a police line and was detained, then six others tried to intervene to free her.


Police have not identified the two people shot by officers in the separate overnight incidents, and have provided few details about the circumstances of the shootings. They also did not name the seven people who were arrested on suspicion of resisting, delaying or obstructing a police officer.

In the first shooting, according to police, patrol officers were traveling east on 111th Street near Figueroa Street in Southeast L.A. when they saw a man approach a group of four people in the parking lot of a gas station and point a gun at the bystanders.

The officers “stopped and gave the suspect commands, which he failed to comply with,” police said. They shot the man, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

A firearm was recovered, authorities said.

At about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, police said a woman crossed a line of yellow police tape at the periphery of the scene. When officers detained her, six other people crossed the tape “and attempted to free the female from police custody,” prompting a struggle with officers, police said.

During the struggle, authorities said one officer suffered a hand injury that required stitches.

In the second shooting, which occurred about 2:30 a.m. in the Winnetka area of the San Fernando Valley, officers responded to a radio call that said a woman was trespassing at a hotel in the 20100 block of Vanowen Street, police said.


At the scene, officers said they “went to the room where the woman was said to be and found her there armed with a handgun.”

The woman was shot by police, suffering what officials described as an injury that was not life-threatening. She was transported to an area hospital for treatment.

A firearm was recovered at the scene, police said.

Both shootings will be investigated by the department’s Force Investigation Division, as is standard in police shootings.

Times staff writer James Queally contributed to this report.