A royal production indeed: Harry, Meghan make massive Netflix deal
Netflix and ... Sussex?
As expected, Prince Harry and Meghan have officially gone Hollywood. The couple have signed a Netflix production deal less than a year after announcing their step back from royal duties in the United Kingdom, an endeavor that theoretically put them one step closer to the streamer’s Emmy-winning royal drama “The Crown.”
Fan-casting aside, the British prince and former actress will produce films and series for the streaming giant. That includes scripted series, docuseries, documentaries, features and children’s programming, The Times confirmed Wednesday. The news comes after they were rumored to be shopping a TV series and making trademark moves in the industry.
Chilly sisters! Bad gifts! Sad nannies! “Finding Freedom” by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand delves into royal Brexit of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
“Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience and the need for connection,” the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said in a statement to The Times. “Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope. “
More specifically, they’ll focus on creating a wide range of programs about stories and issues that resonate with them personally, including highlighting issues that their nonprofit foundation, Archewell, is working on.
Harry and Meghan, whose son, Archie, is 15 months old, added that making inspirational family programming is important to them as is “powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens.” They said that Netflix’s reach will help them “share impactful content that unlocks action.”
They’re also committed to amplifying diverse voices in front of and behind the camera as well as diverse hiring practices for roles they’re filling at their production company. Speculation about their production company has been swirling since January.
Now settled in L.A., the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have signed with the Harry Walker Agency to book speaking engagements on health and social issues.
The royals turned producers have been unable to escape relentless press coverage since they began dating in 2016. They announced their departure from the British monarchy in January and a move to Los Angeles came soon after.
Meghan, who starred in the USA series “Suits,” has no plans to return to acting. But her return to Tinseltown in other capacities was highly expected. In June, the pair signed on with the New York-based Harry Walker Agency for speaking engagements. They also relocated from England to Montecito, an affluent enclave in Santa Barbara County.
The Sussexes already have a few projects in development with Netflix, including a nature docuseries and an animated series that celebrates inspiring women. The prince also worked closely with filmmakers on “Rising Phoenix,” a documentary that began streaming last week in which he also appears.
“Harry and Meghan have inspired millions of people all around the world with their authenticity, optimism and leadership,” said Ted Sarandos, co-chief executive and chief content officer of Netflix, in a statement. “We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home — and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere.”
Prince Harry is calling on advertisers to seek change from social media platforms and heal the ‘crisis of hate’ they’ve created.
It's a date
Get our L.A. Goes Out newsletter, with the week's best events, to help you explore and experience our city.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.