MOCA says Jeff Koons exhibition not canceled, could open in 2015
Jeff Koons’ big museum retrospective could be coming to Los Angeles after all, just not as soon as originally planned.
The Museum of Contemporary Art said that the upcoming Koons exhibition has not been canceled, and is expected to arrive in L.A. in 2015.
A spokeswoman for MOCA confirmed the details via e-mail, saying that the museum still is planning to present the show despite a Friday report from Bloomberg that said the exhibition would skip MOCA.
The Koons show will debut at the Whitney Museum of American Art in June, according to a spokesman for the New York museum. He said that the show won’t debut at MOCA in January as previously expected. After the New York opening, the exhibition is scheduled to go to the Centre Pompidou in Paris.
MOCA President Jeffrey Deitch, who announced his resignation last month after a rocky tenure, has been an avid Koons supporter for years. It remains unclear if the change in the retrospective’s schedule is related to Deitch’s imminent departure from the museum.
The Koons retrospective is expected to feature hundreds of the artist’s work from various periods in his career.
Get our daily Entertainment newsletter
Get the day's top stories on Hollywood, film, television, music, arts, culture and more.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.