Young adult sci-fi, superhero action and a classic fairy-tale villain all have an advantage going into the new year: anticipation from social media users.
Research firm Fizziology used social media data to rank the 10 most buzzed-about movies for the upcoming year and gave the top spot to “Divergent,” Summit Entertainment’s futuristic action-adventure coming out in March. The movie is getting “Hunger Games"-like buzz from young female fans of the young-adult book by Veronica Roth.
“The Amazing Spider-Man 2" came in second place, helped by its trailer release in December, while third-place “X-Men: Days of Future Past” benefited from publicity stunts like the Bent Bullet website that weaved mutants into the conspiracy theories surrounding the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
Anticipation for “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1" should come as no surprise after “Catching Fire” ended 2013 as the year’s second-highest-grossing film in the U.S. and Canada.
“Maleficent,” Disney’s live-action fantasy starring Angelina Jolie as the “Sleeping Beauty” villain, set for release in May, rounded out Fizziology’s top five.
Here are the complete rankings:
1. “Divergent” (Lionsgate). March.
2. “The Amazing Spider-Man 2" (Sony). May.
3. “X-Men: Days of Future Past” (Fox). May.
4. “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1" (Lionsgate). November.
5. “Maleficent” (Disney). May.
6. “Godzilla” (Warner Bros.). May.
7. “The Fault in Our Stars” (Fox). June.
8. “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” (Disney). April.
9. “Need for Speed” (Disney). March.
10. “22 Jump Street” (Sony). June.
[For the record: An earlier version of this post misidentified “The Amazing Spider-Man 2" as a Paramount movie. The actual distributor is Sony.]
Follow on Twitter: @rfaughnder