Twitter came alive with comments about the 2013 Teen Choice Awards, where a tearful Lea Michele made her first appearance following the death of her “Glee” co-star and boyfriend Cory Monteith.
Michele, who won a Choice award as actress in a comedy series, took to the stage Sunday to thank fans for their outpouring of love and support. Monteith, 31, was found dead July 13 in hotel in Vancouver, British Columbia. An autopsy ruled the death resulted from an overdose of heroin and alcohol.
“For all of you out there who loved and admired Cory as much as I did, I promise that with your love we’re gonna get through this together,” Michele said in collecting the award, which she dedicated to Monteith. “He was very special to me and also to the world.”
Fox’s awards show also featured such Twitter-worthy moments as One Direction star Harry Styles spontaneously “twerking” -- a dance move popularized by singer Miley Cyrus -- at the urging of the show’s hosts, Darren Criss and Lucy Hale. Within minutes, the term #HarryDroppedThatThunThunThun began trending on Twitter.
Overall, the Teen Choice Awards generated more than 4.4 million tweets, making it the most social of the TV programs for the week of Aug. 5-11, according to SocialGuide, a Nielsen unit that measures activity on the Twitter platform.
The rankings for the week are as follows:
- Teen Choice 2013 (FOX), Sunday, 4,430,23 tweets
- Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta (VH1), Monday, 918,483 tweets
- Breaking Bad (AMC), Sunday, 565,057 tweets
- The Bachelorette (ABC), Monday, 347,360 tweets
- Teen Wolf (MTV), Monday, 322,090 tweets
- Catfish: The TV Show (MTV), Tuesday, 270,880 tweets
- Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family), Tuesday, 265,966 tweets
- WWE Monday Night RAW (USA), Monday, 178,747 tweets
- The Fosters (ABC Family), Monday, 173,608 tweets
- Big Brother (CBS), Thursday, 172,239 tweets