With the singular comedian Chris Rock acting as host, with both a pivotal election year and the still-trending hashtag #OscarsSoWhite to draw on, the 2016 Oscars promised to deliver some verbal fireworks, and it didn't disappoint.
The evening supplied plenty of memorable, thought-provoking and downright hilarious quotes from Rock and many of the presenters, winners, nominees and red carpet celebs.
OSCARS 2016: Full coverage | List of winners/nominees | #OscarsSoWhite controversy
Here are some of our favorite lines of the evening:
"I gave him [Ryan Seacrest] a hug this year and he kept looking at my hands. He was visibly scared. None of the live TV shows would talk to me this year."
- Sacha Baron Cohen, referencing his red carpet shenanigans at the 2012 Oscars
"I thought about quitting. I thought about it real hard, but I realized they're going to have the Oscars anyway. They're not going to cancel the Oscars because I quit. And the last thing I need is to lose another job to Kevin Hart."
- Host Chris Rock on the pressure to step down in the wake of the #OscarsSoWhite controversy
"We need to support leaders around the world who do not speak for the big polluters and the big corporations but speak for all of humanity and the indigenous people of the world, for the billions and billions of underprivileged people who will be most affected by this, for our children's children and for those people out there whose voices have been drowned out by the politics of greed."
- Leonardo DiCaprio, in his speech after winning the lead actor Oscar for "The Revenant."
- Brie Larson, after winning the lead actress Oscar for "Room"
"I hope that you as journalists, here and throughout the world, will help resonate our message all the way to the Vatican and maybe we can have change in the world. That's what we hope to accomplish. The story of 'Spotlight' has really just begun."
-"Spotlight" producer Michael Sugar
- "The Revenant" director Alejandro G. Iñárritu on Oscar diversity
- Margaret Sixel, winner for film editing for "Mad Max: Fury Road"
- Louis C.K., on the nominees in the documentary short category
- Oscar-winning "The Revenant" cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki
Chris Rock, at the show's conclusion