Nicholas Brendon of ‘Buffy’ faces grand theft, criminal mischief claims

“Buffy the Vampire Slayer” costar Nicholas Brendon was arrested Monday in Florida on suspicion of grand theft and criminal mischief, authorities said.

Brendon, 43, was arrested about 7 p.m. and spent the night in the Broward County Jail, according to jail records.

The “Criminal Minds” actor, who was in Fort Lauderdale for a comic book convention, is accused of getting intoxicated and destroying his hotel room, and he was found asleep in a hotel employee’s car, according to an arrest report cited by TMZ.


Brendon faces claims that he caused $450 worth of damage to the hotel room and owes nearly $380 in food and beverage charges, TMZ said. He refused to pay for the costs and damages, according to the report, so he was arrested on suspicion of grand theft and criminal mischief.

“We are aware Nick has a problem, and sometimes his disease gets the best of him,” said Andrea Aldin, a representative of the actor. She said Brendon’s team will be pulling together and working with him to ensure the best possible outcome.

“He wants to get help, and he will get help,” Aldin said.

This is the second time in five months Brendon has been arrested after accusations of drunken, destructive behavior in a hotel.

He was arrested in October on suspicion of resisting and obstructing arrest after an apparently drunken incident in a Boise, Idaho, hotel lobby the night before he was to appear at a Comic-Con event. He was also hit with a charge of “malicious injury to property” after reportedly breaking a decorative dish.

In 2010, Brendon was arrested in Santa Monica on suspicion of vandalism, resisting arrest and battery on a police officer. He checked himself into rehab after that incident and had previously sought treatment in 2004.

In the wake of the Idaho arrest, the actor apologized to fans via Facebook, saying, “I intend to seek appropriate treatment and therapy for my medical ailments as well as my emotional demons.”

Attempts by the Los Angeles Times to get a copy of the police report were unsuccessful because the department was closed for the day.

Follow Ryan Parker on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram