Tyra Banks sued by former ‘ANTM’ contestant Angelea Preston
A former “America’s Next Top Model: All Stars” contestant has sued Tyra Banks and the CW network, saying she actually won the show’s prize in 2011 but was disqualified after the fact because she’d previously worked as an escort.
Cycle 17 contestant Angelea Preston is asking for $3 million in the breach of contract suit, the Associated Press reported Thursday.
TMZ reported in September that the lawsuit was incoming and that Preston would claim she’d told producers about her year of escort work before filming but was later grilled about it by a casting director after the finale had been taped.
“After shooting was wrapped, our production team learned information from Angelea that disqualifies her from the competition,” photographer and judge Nigel Barker said during the Dec. 7, 2011, finale, before Lisa D’Amato was named the winner.
D’Amato took home a $100,000 CoverGirl contract as well as a couple of fashion-magazine spreads.
Details of the disqualification were not made public on the finale. Banks didn’t comment on it at the time and didn’t respond to AP requests for comment regarding the lawsuit.
Preston finished third in Cycle 14 of “ANTM” before returning for the all-stars gig.
Her lawsuit also alleges models weren’t paid overtime or provided meal or rest periods during taping.
Banks is executive producer of the modeling competition as well as a member of the judging panel. Other parties named in the suit are the Tyra Banks Co. Inc., producer Ken Mok, producer Laura Fuest Silva, Anisa Productions Inc. and Pottle Productions Inc.
From the Oscars to the Emmys.
Get the Envelope newsletter for exclusive awards season coverage, behind-the-scenes stories from the Envelope podcast and columnist Glenn Whipp’s must-read analysis.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.