Ennio Morricone cancels L.A., N.Y. shows
L.A. fans of Ennio Morricone’s classic film scores will have to wait a little longer to hear them from the man himself.
The 85-year-old composer, renowned for his work on “spaghetti western” films such as “Once Upon a Time in the West” and “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” among hundreds of others, had been scheduled to perform his first L.A. concert at the Nokia Theatre on June 15 and in Brooklyn on June 13. A 200-strong orchestra of musicians and singers was set to accompany him.
But an old back injury has resurfaced with new complications, according to his representatives. Doctors advised that flying and conducting would be impossible until after a longer break to heal.
In a statement, Morricone said that “I’m extremely disappointed to have to cancel these concerts. I was very much looking forward to my first Los Angeles performance and only my second New York City performance. Hollywood has been instrumental in bringing my work to American audiences, and my 2007 performance in New York was one of the high points of my career to date. I apologize to my fans for having to cancel these shows, and hope that I am able to make it back soon.”
None of his live dates have been rescheduled, though Morricone said he will continue to compose while he recovers.
Inside the business of entertainment
The Wide Shot brings you news, analysis and insights on everything from streaming wars to production — and what it all means for the future.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.