CBS confirms ‘Mike & Molly’ is ending; ‘Person of Interest’ is still in play
Now it’s official: CBS really is saying goodbye to “Mike & Molly.”
After weeks of cast tweets and speculation, new CBS Entertainment President Glenn Geller confirmed Tuesday that the sitcom that helped propel Melissa McCarthy to stardom will call it quits after 13 final episodes air this season.
“But I can confirm this will be the last season for ‘Mike & Molly,’ ” he added.
Geller, generally guarded in his comments, provided little background on the decision, nor did he specifically address whether the series will draw to a close with special finale storylines or simply end. But he did say that “I think fans will be satisfied” with what producers have planned.
“Mike & Molly,” which stars McCarthy and Billy Gardell as a Chicago couple struggling with family and weight issues, began its sixth season last week.
“We hope to get them on this spring,” Geller said, adding that the show will be a “real treat for viewers.”
Thirteen episodes of “Person of Interest” have been ordered for this fifth season, and producers have said they are approaching the season as if it might be the last. Geller said, however, that no decision had been made and hinted that the network wanted to see how the new episodes performed before making a call.
Meanwhile, Geller brushed aside questions about diversity at CBS, which has been criticized for a prime-time lineup heavy on white protagonists.
“I’m diverse. I fall into the LGBTQ category,” said Geller, who began his remarks with a reference to his husband. “I’m just a gay guy from Indianapolis who doesn’t play basketball,” he added to laughter from the crowd.
From the Emmys to the Oscars.
Get our revamped Envelope newsletter, sent twice a week, for exclusive awards season coverage, behind-the-scenes insights and columnist Glenn Whipp’s commentary.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.