Total time: 40 minutes
Note: Coarse sugar can be found at baking and cooking supply stores as well as well-stocked markets.
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated orange zest (about 1 large orange)
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
2 hard-boiled egg yolks
3/4 cup heavy cream, plus extra for brushing
Coarse sugar for dusting (granulated sugar can be substituted)
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a food processor bowl, pulse together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest. Add the cold cubed butter and the egg yolks and pulse together just until the mixture has the texture of lightly moistened cornmeal. There may be a few pea-sized chunks of butter remaining; that’s fine.
3. Pour over 3/4 cup heavy cream and then pulse 4 to 6 times just to moisten the dough. Do not overmix or the dough will be tough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gather into a shaggy mass. Knead 3 to 4 times to make it cohesive and then pat into a rough circle 6 to 7 inches in diameter and a fairly consistent 3/4 to 1 inch in thickness.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 6 wedges. Brush the tops very lightly with heavy cream (there should be enough left in the measuring cup) and sprinkle lightly with the coarse sugar.
6. Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake until risen and golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Turn the pan around halfway through to ensure even cooking. Remove to a cooling rack.
Strawberries and assembly
3 pints strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 cup whipping cream, beaten to soft peaks
1. While the shortcakes are baking, toss the strawberries, sugar and orange juice together in a bowl. Let stand several minutes. (If the strawberries are extremely firm, do this 30 minutes in advance.)
2. Split the shortcakes in half horizontally and set the tops aside. Place the bottoms on dessert plates and heap strawberries over them. Spoon whipped cream generously over the strawberries and replace the shortcake tops. Serve immediately with any remaining whipped cream on the side.
Each serving: 599 calories; 8 grams protein; 57 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 39 grams fat; 24 grams saturated fat; 193 mg. cholesterol; 567 mg. sodium.