Proposals for funding road repairs
California lawmakers from both parties have ideas, some of which could be combined, for funding needed road repairs. Among the leading proposals:
• Charge drivers a new fee of roughly $50 a year.
• Raise gasoline tax 10 cents a gallon
• Raise diesel fuel tax 12 cents a gallon
• Increase vehicle registration fee $35
• Charge zero-emission vehicle owners $100 annually
• Tap $1.1 billion in fees on trucks now used for debt payments
• Use cap-and-trade pollution fees
Source: Times reporting
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.