Nearly 160 civilian Los Angeles Police Department employees could be laid off by Jan. 1 in a plan by City Hall to address its budget deficit, according to an internal department website posting obtained by The Times.
LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said jobs targeted for elimination under a previous proposal from City Hall are one police administrator III, 10 secretaries, 81 senior clerk typists, 66 clerk typists and a nutritionist.
“I know this is a very stressful time for all and I want to avoid rumors and miscommunication, which can only increase the stress level,” Beck wrote in the post. “Therefore, as I did in the spring during budget hearings, I have directed the Office of Administrative Services to keep everyone updated on a weekly basis until there is a resolution.”
While department officials would seek to work on “any and all possible solutions and outcomes,” a final decision on the layoffs will be made by Dec. 14, Beck wrote.
The Los Angeles Police Protective League, which represents 10,000 officers, is waiting to see what the City Council does with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s request but said it was “concerned about how the work will be done because any delays in the ‘support function’ will definitely affect the ability of officers to respond to law enforcement issues impacting residents and businesses in Los Angeles.”
Officials said there have been discussions about alternatives to the civilian employee cuts at the LAPD, including deferring raises or pay cuts among the various city unions. If that does not happen, Cmdr. Andy Smith said the impact would be hard for the department to absorb.
“These are folks who are part of our LAPD family,” Smith said Thursday. “We all hope the city can find some alternative solution so we don’t have to lose these valuable police employees.”
Earlier this week, the city’s top budget advisor, City Administrative Officer Miguel Santana, urged the Los Angeles City Council to follow through on more than 200 employee job cuts tabled earlier this year and recommended including 50 lawyers in the city attorney’s office on the list.
He argued that more cost-cutting was necessary, in part, because the city already has a $16.6-million budget shortfall four months into its new fiscal year. That gap will grow wider if 209 city jobs are not eliminated by Jan. 1, the budget advisor said Tuesday.
Representatives of City Atty. Carmen Trutanich have issued their own response to Santana’s proposal. Trutanich senior deputy William Carter sent employees an email Wednesday promising to fight the cuts, which he described as an “outrageous and short-sighted attack” on the office.