Man avoids felony charges in bomb hoax that shut San Diego freeway
The San Diego County district attorney declined Wednesday to press felony charges against a 28-year-old man arrested on suspicion of making a hoax bomb threat that led to the shutdown of a freeway on Thanksgiving.
The district attorney’s office instead sent the case to the city attorney to consider whether misdemeanor charges of making a false police report are appropriate.
Victor Manuel Diaz was arrested on Thanksgiving on two terrorism-related felony counts after allegedly making a cellphone call to his sister and telling her that a bomb had been placed in her car.
According to the California Highway Patrol, Diaz’s sister pulled to the side of Interstate 15 and made an emergency call to police. The freeway was closed for several hours while police dogs and bomb squad specialists inspected her car.
The caller had not identified himself but the phone number displayed on the sister’s phone was traced to Diaz, who lives in San Diego, officials said. He allegedly said the call was meant as a joke.
Diaz was released early Thursday from county jail to await the city attorney’s decision.
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.