Medical costs mount for severely beaten S.F. Giants fan Bryan Stow

The criminal case involving the severe beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow may have ended Thursday after his two attackers pleaded guilty to the assault, but for the former paramedic’s family, the fight to pay for his around-the-clock care continues.

At the home he shares with his parents, Stow must wear a diaper, needs help to take a shower and has to be reminded why a plastic shunt juts from the base of his skull. He can hardly close his left hand.

His medical care has already topped $5 million and is estimated to end up costing an additional $34 million over the course of his life, according to family attorney Tom Girardi.

The family has filed a lawsuit against the Dodgers, accusing the team’s management of not adequately protecting fans. The case is set to go to trial by May.


For their part, the Dodgers organization issued a statement after the court hearing Thursday, saying it was pleased with the outcome of the criminal case.

“We are pleased that the culpable parties have finally accepted responsibility for their actions and have been sentenced for their crimes,” the Dodgers said.

Marvin Norwood and Louie Sanchez, both of Rialto, pleaded guilty Thursday to the attack. Norwood, 33, was sentenced to four years in prison. Sanchez, 31, pleaded guilty to one count of mayhem in exchange for eight years in prison.

PHOTOS: Bryan Stow beating case 


Stow was attacked as he and three other Giants fans, all Bay Area paramedics, walked through the parking lot after the Dodgers’ opening day win against the Giants. Witnesses said he was sucker-punched, falling to the ground and fracturing his skull. Once on the ground, Stow was kicked in the ribs and head, they said.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli called the attack “absolutely brutal, absolutely vicious.”

Sanchez and Norwood had faced longer sentences before agreeing to plead guilty.

Stow’s sister, Erin Collins, said in court that her brother’s life will “never be the same.”

“Because of you both, Bryan’s life was nearly taken from him and will never be the same. That also goes for his children, our parents, my sister and I, all of our family and Bryan’s friends,” she said.

Sanchez and Norwood remain in custody to face additional federal charges for allegedly being felons in possession of firearms, which authorities say they found during their arrest.

The stories shaping California

Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.

You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.