Mystery surrounds man’s electrocution at Long Beach church
Authorities are unsure how a man was electrocuted inside a church in Long Beach since he apparently was not working with electrical wiring at the time.
Jose Mejias, 36, of Downey was working in the attic of the church in the 900 block of South Street pulling cable for audio-visual equipment Wednesday night when the accident occurred.
Police officers responded about 8:30 p.m. to assist firefighters, according to Cynthia Arrona, a spokeswoman for the Long Beach Police Department.
Mejias was pronounced dead at the scene.
“This was not crime-related and the victim was not a member of the church,” Arrona said.
The exact cause of death had yet to be determined pending an autopsy.
The view from Sacramento
For reporting and exclusive analysis from bureau chief John Myers, get our California Politics newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.