Video may clarify Knight’s intent in Compton fatality
Judge Ronald S. Coen accepts a plea from Marion “Suge” Knight of no contest to voluntary manslaughter in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom.(Gary Coronado / Los Angeles Times)
Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight, left, with his defense attorney Albert DeBlanc, listens to the terms of his plea of no contest to voluntary manslaughter Thursday in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom.(Gary Coronado / Los Angeles Times)
A family photo of Terry Carter and his wife Lillian Carter. Terry Carter was killed by Marion “Suge” Knight in 2015(Genaro Molina / Los Angeles Times)
Video footage taken outside Tam’s Burgers in Compton may shed light on exactly what happened when Marion “Suge” Knight ran down two men with his truck Thursday, killing one of them, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
“The video is under review by homicide detectives,” said sheriff’s spokesman Deputy Ryan Rouzan. He could not provide specifics about where the tape came from.
Knight, the 49-year-old co-founder of Death Row Records, is being held on suspicion of murder in connection with the incident at the fast-food restaurant that left 55-year-old Terry Carter dead and 51-year-old Cle “Bone” Sloan injured.
The Sheriff’s Department has said it appeared that Knight aimed his vehicle at the two men after arguing and fighting with Sloan.
Knight’s attorney, James E. Blatt, countered that a group of men had attacked Knight and that he had been trying to escape.
Follow me on Twitter @LATChrisGoffard.
The stories shaping California
Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.