35 people treated after exposure to chlorine gas cloud at San Jose swim club


Authorities said 35 people have been taken to hospitals after they were exposed to a toxic gas cloud at a San Jose swimming pool.

Chlorine and hydrochloric acid were improperly mixed and formed a cloud of chlorine gas Thursday at the Shadow Brook Swim Club, fire officials said.

Swimmers as young as 6 were treated after some reported shortness of breath, stinging eyes, nausea or vomiting.


Fire Capt. Mitch Matlow told the San Jose Mercury News that all of those exposed were washed off, given new clothes and taken to hospitals.

A member of the board of directors of the Shadow Brook homeowners association told the newspaper that officials had no comment.