Two men held in Chicago park shooting, newspaper says
Two men are being held in connection with last week’s shooting at a Chicago park in which 13 people were injured, including a 3-year-old boy, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Chicago police would not comment on the report, and no news conference has been scheduled on the case, a police spokesman said.
According to the Tribune, the two men were taken into custody Sunday. The men, both 22, were arrested around 7:30 p.m. CDT in an abandoned building in the 5200 block of South Marshfield Avenue, the newspaper said.
No charges have been filed in the case.
One of the men has been identified as the shooter in Thursday’s attack in Cornell Square Park, and the other as “one of the individuals who participated in the shooting,” the Tribune said, citing a police report.
The arrests come three days after a gunman opened fire on a basketball court in the 1800 block of West 51st Street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood Thursday night, the newspaper said.
Thirteen people were wounded in the attack, including 3-year-old Deonta Howard, who family members said was expected to recover but will require plastic surgery.
A bullet struck him near the ear and exited through his cheek, family members said.
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get all the day's most vital news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.