Ozzie Guillen plans public apology for Fidel Castro comments
Ozzie Guillen wants to put the whole Fidel Castro incident behind him. But to do so, the Miami Marlins manager feels he needs to address it one more time.
Guillen will appear at Marlins Park on Tuesday, an off day for the team, to issue a second apology for his recent comments in Time magazine. He says his remarks -- that he loves Castro and respects him for staying in power for so long -- have caused him to lose sleep, so he wants to make amends.
“I’m going to make everything clear what’s going on,” he said. “People can see me and talk. I’ve already talked to people. But I think it’s the proper thing to see my eyes. They can see me and ask whatever question they want. I think sooner is better. Better for the ball club, better for me.”
Guillen said the news conference is open to “anybody that wants to be there” -- and there just might be some angry people in attendance. A Cuban American group had already organized a demonstration for the same day before Guillen announced his plan to address the public.
Although he already apologized during a closed meeting with Marlins beat writers over the weekend, Guillen feels it is necessary to face the public and, he hopes, put the matter behind him.
“I know I hurt a lot of people,” Guillen said. “I want to get the thing over with.”
Go beyond the scoreboard
Get the latest on L.A.'s teams in the daily Sports Report newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.