Advertisement
Sports

Indy 500 officials tighten security following Boston bombings

Indy 500 officials tighten security following Boston bombings
Officials have tightened security at the Indy 500.
(Jonathan Ferrey / Getty Images)

INDIANAPOLIS -- Officials have tightened security for Sunday’s Indianapolis 500, which typically draws more than 200,000 spectators, in response to the deadly Boston Marathon bombings last month.

Oversize drink coolers have been banned, and a street that runs only a few yards behind the grandstands on the front straightaway of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be closed, track spokesman Doug Boles said Friday.

Advertisement

Spectators’ coolers will be checked at the gate and if they’re too big, “they’re going to be asked to take it back to their cars,” he said.

“We used to check them for bottles because we don’t allow glass bottles, but now we’re obviously checking more thoroughly,” Boles added.

Advertisement

In addition, an infield parking lot at Turn 3, previously open to fans buying a general-admission ticket at the gate on race day, required an advance purchase this year.

“We pre-sold all those so we have names, we have addresses, we have emails for all those folks,” Boles said. The lot holds between 1,500 and 1,700 vehicles.

The actions by track officials follow tightened security steps taken last Saturday at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore for the Preakness Stakes.

ALSO:

Advertisement

Chuck Norris comes to the defense of Tim Tebow

WNBA to disappear by next year? Financial website says yes

Phil Jackson picks Bill Russell, not Kobe or Jordan, as the best ever


Newsletter
Get our daily Sports Report newsletter
Advertisement