The attorney for USC sophomore De’Anthony Melton said he gave the school bank statements and cellphone data this week as part of the investigation into the college basketball bribery and corruption case.
“We have nothing to hide,” attorney Vicki I. Podberesky said.
Melton has been held out of USC’s first three games because of the case. Podberesky doesn’t expect him to play Wednesday against Lehigh.
The attorney said USC hasn’t provided a timetable for Melton’s return. The school previously described his absence as a precaution, but has otherwise remained tight-lipped about the situation.
On Wednesday, Louisville announced that prize freshman Brian Bowen, another player linked to the case, wouldn’t be in uniform for the school. And earlier this week, Oklahoma State cleared senior Jeffrey Carroll to return after missing three games because of the case.
Federal prosecutors have accused USC associate head coach Tony Bland of facilitating a $5,000 payment to a family friend of a Trojans sophomore identified in the criminal complaint as Player-9. Podberesky said Melton is Player-9.
In exchange for the payment, the complaint said, the family friend would steer Melton to use would-be agent Christian Dawkins and financial advisor Munish Sood when he joined the NBA.
Bland has been on administrative leave since being charged in September. He pleaded not guilty last week to four counts.
Podberesky said Melton had no knowledge of the alleged transaction and didn’t do anything wrong.