Floyd Mayweather Jr. issued an apology Monday night for a photo and captions on his
"It's unfortunate that a stupid picture was posted to my Instagram account earlier today that was not posted by me or authorized by me to post," Mayweather said in the statement e-mailed to reporters by his publicist's firm.
Above a photo of a distraught-appearing De La Hoya, the headline "MEANWHILE IN REHAB" is followed by words below the photo that say, "OSCAR: I gave Canelo the wrong blueprint I was high."
Mayweather has previously ripped De La Hoya's lifestyle, and has chided his former rival's ability to craft a blueprint to beat Mayweather for his Golden Boy Promotions fighters, including Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, who was outclassed Saturday night in a majority decision victory by Mayweather in Las Vegas.
After the bout, Mayweather called De La Hoya a champion and wished him the best in his recovery.
"As I clearly stated during my fight week and again in the post-fight press conference, I completely support Oscar De La Hoya and his family during this difficult time in his life," Mayweather said in the statement. "Although we have had our differences in the past, I stand by him unconditionally and would never personally disrespect him or anyone else who struggles with addiction.
"I apologize to Oscar and his family for this posting. I wish him well and am rooting for him to win his fight, too. I also apologize to all of my followers for this ridiculous post. I have no ill will towards anyone and have repeatedly stated that I only seek positivity in my life and for others."