Friday – the day on which Hawaiians greet each other with "Happy Aloha Friday" – colorfully comes to a close each week with fireworks on Waikiki Beach.
The 10-minute show, which begins at 7:45 p.m., is presented by Hilton Hawaiian Village. And while the resort offers some terrific vantage points for the pyrotechnics, there are others, too.
With help from Honolulu locals, I've compiled this list of six suggestions of great places from which to enjoy the Friday night show in the sky:
1. The Hilton's towers. Guests staying in various towers may have a bird's eye view depending on which way their windows face. Ask when making a reservation.
2. Tropics Bar & Grill. The resort's beachside restaurant has a patio that provides picture-perfect views.
3. The beach itself. Literally thousands of people can gather on Waikiki Beach, and in the warm ocean water, to watch the magical light show above.
4. Barefoot Beach Cafe. As the name implies, this is a casual spot – at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki – that offers not only fireworks, but skyline views, too.
6. Mount Tantalus. Take the long and winding road up to the top of Tantalus, an extinct volcano, to see the fireworks and get great views of Honolulu and Diamond Head.
Wherever you end up, be sure to smile and wish "Happy Aloha Friday" to the locals who'll inevitably be there, too.
For them, the fireworks are time for pau hana, after-work, informal get-togethers with friends.