Skip to content
Music and food in Barcelona
From LAX, connecting service (change of planes) is on British Airways, Delta, Iberia, Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, Swiss and Aer Lingus. Fares begin at $917.
To call numbers below from the U.S., dial 011 (international dialing code), 34 (country code for Spain) and the local number.
WHERE TO STAY:
Hotel Colón, 7 Avenida de la Catedral; 93-301-1404, http://www.hotelcolon.es. A short walk from the Liceo and the Palau de la Música and just two subway stops from L'Auditori. Ask for a room overlooking the cathedral. The staff is friendly and helpful. Doubles from $215.
Hotel Majestic, 68 Passeig de Gràcia; 93-488-1717, http://www .hotelmajestic.es. More elegant than the Colón but with an equally friendly staff, the Majestic is in the Golden Quadrangle, the area with most of Barcelona's art nouveau buildings. Two Gaudí landmarks, Casa Milà and Casa Battló, are nearby. The Majestic is within a dozen blocks of the Liceo and the Palau, and a short subway ride to any of the music halls. Doubles from $290, dropping to $168 in November.
Hotel Inglaterra, 14 Pelayo; 93-505-1100, http://www.hotelmajestic.es. Owned by the Majestic and more reasonably priced; a small, modern hotel in the Golden Triangle, a short walk from the Ramblas, Plaza Catalunya and the university. Rooms are simple and elegant, and the helpful staff speaks English. Doubles from $107.
WHERE TO EAT:
1. L'Olive, 47 Balmes (Mediterranean Catalan); 011-34-93-452-1990. Lunch, 1-4 p.m.; dinner, 8:30 p.m.-midnight; closed Sunday dinner. Dinner for two with wine, about $74.
2. Cal Pep, 8 Plaça de les Olles (Mediterranean seafood); 93-310-7961. Lunch, 1:30-4 p.m.; Tuesday through Saturday, dinner, 8-11:45 p.m.; Monday through Saturday. closed Sunday and lunch Monday. Dinner for two with wine, about $59.
3. Txokoa, 20 Pasaje Marimón (Basque); 93-414-1991. Lunch, 1-4 p.m.; dinner, 9 p.m.-midnight; closed Sunday. Dinner for two with wine, about $59.
4. Chicoa, 73 Aribau (traditional Catalan); 453-11-23. Lunch, 1-4 p.m.; dinner, 8:30-11 p.m.; closed Sunday, Monday dinner. Dinner for two with wine, about $74.
5. Hofmann, 74-78 Argenteria (nouvelle Catalan); 319-5889. Lunch, 1:30-3:15 p.m.; dinner, 9-11:15 p.m. Closed weekends, Holy Week and August. Dinner for two with wine, about $133.
6. Agua, 30 Passeig Marítimo, Barceloneta (Mediterranean); 225-1272. Lunch, 1:30-4 p.m.; dinner, 8:30 p.m.-midnight, except Saturday, 1:30-5 p.m., 8 p.m.-1 a.m. Lunch for two with wine, about $59.
THE MUSIC PALACES:
The Liceo and the Palau offer tours in English for $5. If you'd like to attend a concert, your hotel concierge can arrange for tickets to any of the three music houses, or you can purchase them yourself.
A. The Liceo (Gran Teatre del Liceu), 51-59 La Rambla; 93-485-9900, fax 93-485-9918, http://www.liceubarcelona.com. Purchase tickets at the box office or on the Web site (in Spanish and Catalan only). For major operas, tickets range from $7 to $142.
B. Palau de la Música Catalana, 2 Sant Francesc de Paula; 93-295-7200, fax 93-295-7210, http://www.palaumusica.org. Purchase tickets at the box office. For an orchestra such as the Royal Philharmonic, prices range from $18 to $150. The price range for a prominent recitalist is $6 to $72.
C. L'Auditori, 150 Carrer Lepant; 93-247-9300, fax 93-247-9301, http://www.auditori.com. Purchase tickets at the box office or on the Web site (in Spanish and Catalan only). Tickets for the Barcelona Symphonic Orchestra cost $13 to $42, or $9.50 to $29 for Sunday morning performances.