Twentieth Century Fox has shut down production on its third "Maze Runner" film after star Dylan O'Brien was injured on the set Thursday.
The 24-year-old was "immediately transferred to a local hospital for observation and treatment," a spokesperson for the studio said in a statement. According to a report from TMZ, O'Brien "suffered multiple broken bones" after being run over by a car. Neither Fox nor O'Brien's publicist would elaborate on the nature of the actor's injuries, but the studio said the Vancouver, Canada, set would be closed "while he recovers."
O'Brien is the lead of the "Maze Runner" franchise, which he has starred in since 2014. The post-apocalyptic films are based on James Dashner's popular young-adult book series about a teenager trying to escape from a labyrinth. The first two films in the series have performed well for Fox at the box office, each grossing more than $300 million worldwide. "The Death Cure," the third entry in the series, had been set for release on Feb. 17, 2017.
O'Brien also plays a prominent role in MTV's "Teen Wolf" television series, which was renewed for a sixth season in July. He is the latest prominent actor to suffer an injury on the set following
Follow @AmyKinLA on Twitter for the latest Hollywood news.