John Burton isn’t afraid of the “l” word.
The chairman of the California Democratic Party wasn’t shy about calling it the “Liberal Party” in an email urging members to run to become delegates. For years Republicans have used the term “liberal” as a pejorative. Many Democratic politicians prefer to be called “progressive.”
The message sent by Burton, the former president pro tempore of the state Senate, also laid out “what California Democrats stand for” — a list of policy positions that largely mirrors the party’s official political platform.
Among the highlights of Burton’s list:
- A "common sense ban on deadly assault weapons"
- Abolishing capital punishment
- Endorsing Black Lives Matter
- A belief that "healthcare is a human right" and support for a single-payer health care system
- Support for debt-free college and free community college