A look at President Trump's administration and the rest of Washington:
- Trump wants to boost defense spending by $54 billion, a 10% jump
- Justice Department shifts course in controversial Texas voting rights case
- Trump says "nobody knew healthcare could be this complicated."
- Trump says Hollywood's obsession with him led to Oscar snafu
- Trump's nominee for Navy secretary withdraws over financial conflicts
- Democrats pick Tom Perez to lead them from the political wilderness
A draft memo obtained by the Associated Press outlines a Trump administration proposal under consideration to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up immigrants in the U.S. illegally. Millions of those who would be affected in 11 states live nowhere near the Mexico border.
The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Ore., and as far east as New Orleans. If the proposal is implemented, governors in the affected states would have final approval on whether troops under their control participate.