Solvent Causes $10,000 Fire at Castaic Factory
Aflammable solvent caught fire in a Castaic manufacturing plant Monday, causing about $10,000 damage before a sprinkler system extinguished the blaze, a Angeles County Fire Department spokesman said.
The water from the sprinklers mixed with liquid and dry chemicals used in manufacturing processes at Electro Film Co. The county hazardous materials team was dispatched to help clean up the mixture, said Fire Capt. Gary Casner.
Casner said static electricity ignited the flammable solvent, which is used to clean barrels. The mixture of sprinkler water and chemicals may have run into the sewer system, but some was collected in a makeshift pond built by firefighters and will be removed later, Casner said.
One worker suffered minor injuries in the 11 a.m. fire, Casner said.
The firm makes lubricants and water-bed heaters.