NHL Playoffs Roundup : Hartford Ties Series Hard Way, 2-1

Hartford had to overcome many problems, including being forced to score the winning goal twice Wednesday night at home, to even its playoff series with Montreal at two games apiece.

The Whalers, playing without injured goaltender Mike Liut, won, 2-1, when Kevin Dineen wheeled around Canadien defenseman Laarry Robinson, skated in close and scored into the upper corner at 1:07 of overtime. The fifth game of the best-of-seven series will be played Friday night at Montreal.

With 6:45 left in regulation, Torrie Robertson of the Whalers, knocked a loose puck into the net for what appeared to be the go-ahead goal. However, referee Denis Morel lost sight of the puck and ruled that he blew play dead before the score.

Liut, who virtually lifted the Whalers into the playoffs with some uncanny goaltending, has a severely bruised left knee. He tried to work out on it before the game, but had to give up.


Steve Weeks, who replaced Liut, was superb. He lost his shutout just a minute before the Whalers’ disallowed goal. Mats Naslund lifted the puck over Weeks’ outstretched glove to score the goal on a power play.

Weeks, making his first appearance in the playoffs, stopped 18 shots, while the Canadiens’ 20-year-old sensation, Patrick Roy had 22 saves in another strong performance.

A rebound shot into an unprotected net gave Stewart Gavin of the Whalers the opening goal at 13:53 of the first period. Gavin’s linemate, Sylvain Turgeon went in alone on Roy, but the goalie got his glove on the shot. Gavin, the trailer, then banged in the rebound.

New York Rangers 6, Washington 5--It seemed the Rangers were always battling from behind, but they evened this series at two games apiece with a stirring victory in overtime.


Bob Brooke, who scored the tying goal with 2:35 left in regulation, stole the puck from Washington defenseman Scott Stevens and fired a 30-foot shot past goaltender Pete Peeters on his left side at 2:40 of overtime to send the series back to Washington all even.

Stevens played brilliantly most of the night for the Capitals, but his two errors late in the game were costly. With the Capitals trying to protect a 5-4 lead, Stevens lost the puck behind his own net, Brian MacLellan grabbed it, fed quickly out front to Brooke and the right wing scored the tying goal before Peeters knew he had the puck.

Actually, the Rangers scored first on a shot by Wilf Paiement, but shortly thereafter the Capitals seemed to take command. They scored three goals in six minutes to take their first two-goal lead.

The Rangers, heavy underdogs, fought back to get even in the middle of the second. But Bob Gould put Washington back on top in the last minute of the period.


When Greg Smith scored at 7:45 of the last period, Washington had a two-goal advantage again. Once more the Rangers came charging back.