Two men were burned, one critically, and a garage was destroyed by fire when an outboard boat motor they were priming with gasoline backfired, igniting a can of gas that exploded.
Richard Pelletier, 47, was listed in critical condition Sunday at the UC San Diego Medical Center's burn ward with second- and third-degree burns over 40% of his body. The burns were concentrated on his face, arms and chest, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Timothy Barwig, 21, was listed in fair condition with second- and third-degree burns over 18% of his body.
The explosion occurred in the 1200 block of Alpine Estate Place and caused damage estimated at more than $110,000 to the garage. The fire destroyed the boat and a car in the garage, said El Cajon Fire Department spokeswoman Jane Rolin.