Stunt Man Shot : Suspect Pleads Innocent in Traffic Attack

Times Staff Writer

A teen-ager sought in the shooting of a motorist during a traffic dispute in Studio City six weeks ago pleaded not guilty Tuesday to attempted murder, a day after his capture on a Hollywood street.

Thomas Robison, an 18-year-old transient, was arrested by a Los Angeles police patrol at 6 p.m. Monday at the corner of Melrose and Curson avenues, said Officer Don Lawrence. “It was just a plain observation situation,” Lawrence said. “He was out on the street and they saw him.”

Robison was being held in County Jail in lieu of $500,000 bail. He was arraigned in San Fernando Municipal Court, and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for Sept. 25.

Police began looking for Robison after sorting out what happened at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 1, at the intersection of Ventura and Laurel Canyon boulevards. Police said stunt man Henry Kingi, 43, estranged husband of actress Lindsay Wagner, was shot in the arm and chest at the intersection after he got out of his car and exchanged words with a group of motorists from a Jeep.


Cut Off by Jeep

Police said the incident occurred after Kingi, who had been driving east on Ventura Boulevard, was cut off by the Jeep. At Laurel Canyon Boulevard, the two vehicles pulled next to each other at a stop and several teen-agers in the Jeep began shouting at Kingi, police said.

According to police, Kingi yelled back and then he and several of the Jeep’s occupants got out of their vehicles. Police said Robison pointed a gun at Kingi’s head and pulled the trigger, but it failed to fire. He then kicked Kingi in the groin and pulled the trigger again. This time the gun went off, striking Kingi in the arm and chest.

Kingi, whose 4-year-old son was in his car, then drove several blocks before flagging down a police car. He was treated for his wounds at the North Hollywood Medical Center.


The Jeep was stopped by police about 30 minutes after the shooting. Robison was not aboard, but police said the occupants identified him as the person responsible. No charges were brought against others in the Jeep.