A worker suffered chemical burns over most of his body Monday while he was mixing chemicals at an industrial plant in San Pedro, officials said.
Gerard Hoch was burned when about 10 gallons of hydrochloric acid accidentally mixed with an undetermined chemical, a Fire Department spokesman said. The mixture produced an explosive reaction that coated Hoch with acid.
He was taken to Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Harbor City after the incident at about 9 a.m. at an industrial firm near Berth 166 of the Los Angeles Harbor. A hospital spokesman said he is fair condition.