Police on Monday advised trick-or-treaters not to eat Hershey’s Kisses purchased at Danber Drugs, on Culver Drive in the University Park area of Irvine, saying there was a remote possibility that the candy had become contaminated by being accidentally stored near mothballs.
“The candy may have a strong mothball odor or taste, but the Orange County Poison Control Center believes it is unlikely that the (mothballs’) toxicity would pass through the wrapper into the candy,” Irvine Police Sgt. Jeffery Kermode said.
“To be safe, area residents should prevent their children from consuming any suspect Hershey’s Kisses.”
The health advisory was announced after the mothball odor was noticed by someone who had bought the candy to distribute to trick-or-treaters, Kermode said.
After investigating the report of possibly contaminated candy, Irvine police determined that about 10 packages that were sold Monday at Danber Drugs had been exposed accidentally to mothballs while in storage, he said.
“They believe about 10 bags were sold today and we have two of the bags back, so there are still eight out there somewhere,” Kermode said.
Concerned individuals can contact the Poison Control Center at (714) 634-5988, he said.