Cyanide Found in Yogurt Eaten by Teen-Ager Who Fell Critically Ill
Cyanide has been found in a container of yogurt eaten by a teen-ager who became critically ill Tuesday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration reported.
Laboratory tests by the FDA confirmed the presence of cyanide and federal officials informed the state Health Department.
The victim, Thomas Lee, 17, of Haddonfield, was in critical condition at West Jersey Hospital’s Eastern Division in Voorhees, said George Kerns, a spokesman for Camden County prosecutor Samuel Asbell.
The cyanide, a rat poison, was found in an 8-ounce container of Breyer’s black cherry yogurt with the code date Feb. 9, 1989. Officials say the yogurt was purchased from either the Haddonfield or Westmont Acme supermarkets.
Acme has removed all yogurt from five Camden County stores and Breyer’s yogurt products from all of its stores, the Health Department said.
Kraft Inc. Dairy Group, based in Philadelphia, is withdrawing all flavors of Breyer’s yogurt from retail stores in the Delaware Valley because of suspected tampering.
The Dairy Group announced Tuesday night that it is cooperating with the FDA, local law enforcement and public health authorities in the investigation of the incident, which is believed to be an isolated product tampering. There have been no other reports of illness.
The company said Breyer’s yogurt packages have a tamper-evident seal.